Wednesday, October 14, 2015

How did I Prepare for SCRUM PSM Exam?


First of all I'm going to tell you if this certification (in my opinion)is a difficult one or not, if it's for you, if it has a value in your job.

All guys in IT in our company, visited the official course, we are 21 IT Pros, only 2 of us passed the exam.  Strangely, passed, the NetworkAdmin and the Support And Service Supervisor. But....where is the magic?

Scrum is a cert mostly thought for Senior Developers who act as "Team Leaders" but, want to expand there skills to SM's (Scrum Masters). In the last years (2009-2010) I was that team leader for the development group, we executed and closed some good software projects through the traditional way, that means, the waterfall model.

So, where is the key ??? What do the Networkadmin and me have in common ??? The answers will give us a possible approach to answer if this is difficult, valuable and if these path is for you.

Let me tell you a little bit of background:


  • I'm a spanish native speaker, I learned english in the school period 
  • I'm not working now in software development
  • Iam surelly acting as Project Manager in some other IT Projects
  • I had one month and a week for visiting the course and study for the exam
  • I had no experience in Scrum Teams
  • I write only in this blog what for me worked but can work for you. 
So for now, that's it. All the above wroten is just my experience, my opinion, it can serve you or not, I hope it does.




So, for the first tips:


  • Work in Projects, as member or Project Manager for at least one year, the time is not as important as the speed for learning something.
  • I began reading Scrum and XP from the trenches, why???? because I had NO Scrum Experience and "form me",  these book opened my eyes.
  • Sure I visited the Official Course, but, honestly, you don't have to, I considere myself autodidact, so I "normally" don't expect someone teaching me something with a Power Point, but, only if there were LABS in a course or other technical requirements for learning the stuff I would go and visit a course.
  • The big problem, for the whole world that are not native English speaker, the language. If you don't have an intermediate english level and are  not acquainted with the technical words, the exam will be a nightmare for you. The exam is in only in the english language available.
  • Begin with the Scrum Org simulators, they are free and a basis for the exam
  • GO ahead with the official Scrum Org Guide:






No comments:

Post a Comment